We are starting the year with Make It Sew by creating this handy and easy to make casserole carrier. It is perfect for carrying pies, casseroles and more to potlucks. The layer of insulation will keep your food warm or cool and you won’t have to worry about discomfort to your hands while carrying just the dish!
Don’t want to make your own? You can get them from my etsy shop»
- 5/8yd Outside Fabric
- 5/8 yd Inside Fabric
- 5/8 yd Insul-Bright
- 1 yd 1″ Webbing (For handle)
- Cut outside fabric, inside fabric and insul-bright to 21″ square
- Cut webbing to 21″, 7″ and 7″
All seams are 1/4”
Step 1: Sewing the Layers
- Stack your fabrics as follows:
- Outside fabric, right side up
- Inside fabric, right side down
- Pin around the outside to make sewing the three layers easier
- Stitch around all 4 sides, leaving a 6” opening on one side
- Turn the layers right side out
- Pin the opening to prepare for top stitching to close it
- Top stitch approximately 1/8” from the edge.
Step 2: Adding the Handles
- Using a zig zag stitch, sew the 21” piece of webbing to opposite corners, on the inside fabric.
- On the two remaining corners, fold the short pieces of webbing in half and stitch the ends side by side.